Causes of Skin Aging and How to Avoid Them
Skin aging is something that no one looks forward to. Not only is it unsightly, it also makes a huge impact on a person’s self esteem. They say that in order to find a solution to a problem, you must first know its cause. So let me share to you some of the causes of skin aging and also some of the things that you can do to avoid it.
1. Exposure to the sun. The sun’s UV rays is the number one cause of premature skin aging. With repeated exposure to the sun, the skin loses its ability to repair itself that is why it is very important to be always protected when going outdoors. To prevent this, always wear your sunscreen when going out, and even when you’re just inside the house. The sun’s UV rays can still penetrate windows so you should always be protected. Also, keep in mind that there are still UV rays present even if it is not sunny so it’s still necessary to wear sunscreen. You should also wear sunglasses when going out on a sunny day to protect your eyes and the skin around it from sun damage.
2. Smoking and drinking. Unhealthy lifestyle habits such as smoking and drinking could dry out the skin. The moisture content on our skin diminishes 10 times faster when we smoke or drink. To avoid this, simply avoid smoking and drinking. Exposing yourself to secondhand smoke is also the same as smoking so try to avoid it as much as possible.
3. Lack of sleep. Dark circles around the eyes and sallow skin are usually the effects of not sleeping well. Adults should get an average of seven to eight hours of sleep a day in order to function well throughout the day. Sleeping well could also help rejuvenate your skin and make you look fresh.
4. Stress. Stress is said to be the second cause of premature skin aging. When we are stressed, we tend to frown which causes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Stress is inevitable but we have to make sure that we have to deal with it properly so that our body won’t suffer. Also, don’t forget to always smile.
5. Unbalanced diet. People who eat fast food and unhealthy food all the time tend to have skin problems such as sallow complexion, acne and leathery skin. To avoid this, always eat a healthy balanced diet. Also, drink lots of water to flush away the toxins in the body and to keep your skin hydrated and youthful looking.